What is a Smile Makeover?
If you have several cosmetic imperfections compromising the beauty of your smile or if you feel a sense of dissatisfaction when you smile at yourself in the mirror but can’t quite figure out where the problem lay, you might be a good candidate for a smile makeover. This fully customizable treatment plan can incorporate any number of individual cosmetic or restorative dentistry procedures designed to improve the appearance of your teeth and gums and help you achieve a radiantly beautiful smile. Dr. Colin Lathrop and our team at Lathrop Dental Center believe that every patient should feel good about the appearance of their smile. We derive a great deal of satisfaction from helping our patients correct cosmetic flaws that may have caused them to hide their teeth or refrain from smiling in the past. Feeling confident about how you look is important and we want to help you experience renewed self-esteem.
Developing Your Treatment Plan
At Lathrop Dental Center, cookie-cutter cosmetic dentistry simply won’t cut it. When it comes to designing your smile makeover treatment plan, Dr. Lathrop will take the time to sit down and perform a full evaluation using advanced imaging and diagnostic technology to determine what procedures might benefit you the most. In addition, you and he will discuss those aspects of your smile you’re unhappy with as well as the goals you have for treatment. Finally, Dr. Lathrop will take into account the dimensions of your lips, cheeks, jaw, and overall facial features before developing your plan. Individual treatments that could play a role in achieving your best smile include:
- Teeth whitening.
- Cosmetic bonding.
- Teeth contouring.
- Reshaping the gum line or reducing the amount of visible gum tissue.
- Porcelain veneers.
- Cosmetic orthodontics, like PowerProx Six Month Braces.
- All-porcelain dental crowns.
- Botox for overall facial esthetics.
Common Concerns Regarding Smile Makeovers
When we think about smile makeovers – or makeovers of any kind, for that matter – we tend to think in terms of “before the makeover” and “after the makeover.” However, many issues must be addressed before we move from before to after. Some important considerations to think about include:
- Pre-existing oral health conditions. If you have poor oral health, cavities, tooth decay, untreated gum disease, TMJ disorder, or cracked or broken dental work, Dr. Lathrop will want to address those conditions first before proceeding with cosmetic treatments. The foundation of a successful smile makeover is a healthy smile, so bringing your oral health up to optimal levels is vital.
- Expectation management. Modern cosmetic dentistry can dramatically alter the appearance of your smile, but is a dramatic change what you really need? After all, you may admire your favorite actress’s big, toothy grin but that same smile might look awkward or unnatural in the context of your facial features. Managing your smile makeover expectations includes setting clear, reasonable goals.
- Budgeting for a smile makeover. Is a smile makeover that breaks the bank really worth it? One of the most important factors to consider before undergoing cosmetic dental treatment is cost. You will need to determine parameters for your smile makeover budget and stick with them. For our part, we strive to make all of our procedures affordable and we can even phase your treatment out over several months so that your budget can keep pace. In addition, we work with third party financing companies who can help you finance your care.