Many people suffer from severe dental anxieties and phobias. Sedation options in dentistry have evolved over the years to help the most nervous patients get through the dental work they’ve been putting off. Extensive training in dental sedation is required in order for a dentist to provide varying sedation options to their patients. Katy TX dentist, Dr. Colin Lathrop, will tell you more about sedation options for dental appointments.
Reasons for Sedation in Dentistry
The following are reasons why someone might want to inquire about sedation through a qualified dentist:
- Trouble sitting still in the dentist’s chair
- Severe gag reflex that makes dental work uncomfortable, time consuming, and nearly impossible
- A low threshold for pain
- Extremely sensitive teeth
- Need for multiple procedures and would rather get them done at once, due to fear, or time constraints
- Dementia or special needs patients who are resistant to dental work
- Children who are either terrified of going to the dentist or won’t cooperate and sit still, making dental work complicated and unsafe for them
Many people hear horror stories about the risks in getting anesthesia for any medical procedure. Once you have chosen a dentist who you trust, it’s important to know that highly trained sedation dentists have been taught to provide the safest possible sedation experience for you. Be sure to ask Dr. Lathrop specific questions to put your mind at ease before your sedation dental appointment. Any dentist worthy of providing you with dental care will be open to hearing out your concerns and communicating with you about what you should expect. Make sure you’re prepared to provide a thorough medical history, and let the dental office know about any medications you’re currently taking.
Visit your Katy, TX Dentist
Dr. Colin Lathrop is an experienced and widely respected dentist serving patients in the Katy, TX area. Patients can schedule an appointment with Lathrop Dental Center by calling our office at 832-437-3849.