We know one of the main reasons patients choose to avoid scheduling their dental visits is because it’s just not on the top of their “fun things to do” lists. However, sometimes patients do want to access dental care but worrying about discomfort, feeling uneasy in the chair, and a handful of other concerns may keep them from doing so. If the knowledge that you could visit us and enjoy a relaxing appointment would give you the comfort level you seek to receive the care you need, we encourage you to learn more about sedation dentistry. Think you already know a bit about this excellent solution? Test your knowledge with the following quiz to find out:
Sedation Quiz: True or False
- True or False: Most patients qualify for sedation dentistry even if their needs do not seem extreme.
- True or False: You will not be able to drive yourself home after your visit if you choose sedation.
- True or False: We often suggest sedation for problems unrelated to general anxiety about dental treatment.
Dental Quiz Answer Key
- True. Patients often feel embarrassed to ask for sedation because they assume they need to suffer from the world’s worst case of dental anxiety to qualify. Whether you suffer from significant nerves, mild nerves, or if you simply desire a more relaxed visit, we encourage you to ask about your options.
- True and False! This is a bit of a trick question. If you choose a form of sedation that includes oral sedation or IV sedation, you will need a ride home after your visit because the medicine will take time to wear off. However, if you choose nitrous oxide – also called laughing gas – it wears off quickly. Fast enough for you to drive yourself home after your appointment.
- True. Some patients feel anxious about treatment for specific reasons you may not often hear about. For instance, you may need to have a lot of work done in a short amount of time – if the idea of sitting in our chair for extended periods of time makes you feel uneasy, sedation dentistry may help. Or, your sensitive gag reflex may make dental visits a challenge. Your solution? Sedation, of course.
ABOUT YOUR KATY DENTIST:
Dr. Colin Lathrop and the Lathrop Dental Center proudly serve patients and families from in and around Katy, Fulshear, Weston Lakes, Simonton, Richmond, Rosenberg, Brookshire, Wallis, Orchard, and all surrounding communities. If you’d like to schedule a dental appointment, you can reach our office in Katy, TX, by calling (832) 437-3849.