If you are attempting to open your mouth to say, “ah!” do you find that you cannot do this with ease? Do you ever attempt to close your mouth after speaking, singing, or eating only to find that this effort is held up for a moment by what seems to be an unmoving jaw joint? If so, recognize that these are common symptoms of common oral health issues. Let’s see how much you know about these functional concerns with a quick quiz.
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: If you try to close your mouth but your jaw doesn’t seem to be cooperating, this is totally normal – it happens to everyone quite frequently.
- True or False: When you are sitting at rest, there is no benefit to teeth that fit together like puzzle pieces.
- True or False: If your teeth are misaligned, aligning them with orthodontics is helpful for a better looking smile and greater comfort but no major improvement will affect your oral health.
- False. This is not normal. It is likely a sign that you are dealing with TMD (TMJ disorder), which is an oral health issue that interferes with the normal, effective functioning of your jaw joints. Rest assured: We offer therapy!
- False. If your teeth are not aligned correctly, they will not fit together at rest – nor will they fit together while you chew. Properly aligned teeth offer a long list of oral health and other advantages, including comfortable rest, speaking, and chewing.
- False. In addition to allowing you to close your mouth comfortably, aligned teeth will promote improved dental hygiene (and as a result, a decrease in hygiene-related problems).